Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Chapter 9: Always Ask For Permission First

In all honesty, Lief was not entirely sure why he did it. Talking to a dead man seemed strange.

But then again, it felt like it was the right thing to do. After all, Josefin was another man's wife before Lief came along.

When Lief knew for sure his children were all asleep, he left to go to the cemetery.

It had taken some time, due to the massive amount of gravestones, but he found the man he was looking for.
But now that he found the guy, what was there to say?
Obviously, stating something along the lines of, "You're dead, so can I bang your wife?" was out of the question. No, that was far too blunt for Lief to even think about saying.

"So, um...hi there," the man finally began. "Kalle Oss, right? Josefin's dead husband? Uh...name's Lief. I guess I...I started dating Josefin, and...thought maybe I ought to let you know."

"Burned to death, huh? I think Josefin did mention that was how you died. She still misses you. And that's understandable."

"I mean, if any of my loved ones died tragically, of course I'd be crushed and in mourning." It seemed the more he spoke to the dead Kalle, the easier it was for Lief to find his words.

"But you know...that's an amazing lady you were married to. And your boys are pretty amazing, themselves."

"And obviously, I probably won't begin to measure up to you. But you know, probably I'll be able to do what you can't, seeing as you're dead and all."

Lief couldn't help but chuckle awkwardly. He felt as if his humor belonged in this place.

"But seriously, you don't need to worry about them. I'll...I'll take care of them for you, all right? I guess I fancy your wife, and I really do care about her and your boys."

"So you got nothing to worry about, all right?" Lief wished he brought something to pay his respects with.

He decided that was for another time, however.

 Quietly, Lief gave one last farewell to the dead man. He then left the cemetery before any ghosts appeared.

Well, granted, the man had never actually seen any ghosts before. He merely disregarded them as stories kids told each other. 

He still was not going to take the chance to find out the truth.When he returned home, it was just as quiet as it was when he left. 

Well, almost.

As far as he remembered, Lief didn't recall there being a chance of rain in the forecast.

This rain also felt different to him, somehow. Rain did happen in Aurora Skies, but it was usually a cold rain. 

But, this rain was warm. One could say it was just one of those weather 'hiccups'. But deep down, Lief had a feeling why this was.

Without a word, the man looked toward the sky and nodded. He then went back inside, ready to prepare for another day. 

(End of Chapter 9. And Happy New Year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment