Thursday, November 28, 2013

Chapter 3: It's a Date! Or is it?

Lief had not actually expected it to be only Josefin to visit his home.

He also had not expected her to show up so early.

But of course, that was not going to stop him from being a decent host to his guest.


According to Josefin, Arvid was called into his part-time job, and Edvin hadn't been feeling too well. Lief was...saddened to hear that.

But nonetheless, he would make sure that Josefin was appreciated. And he even promised he'd go visit Edvin if possible.


"So, is your husband keeping an eye on Edvin while you're gone?" Lief had to ask.

As she answered, Lief couldn't help but notice Josefin's smile was a little tight around the edges. "I'm...afraid not," she said in a rather sad tone of voice.

"Huh? Why not?"

At that point, Josefin dropped the smile completely.

"My husband...died about a year or so ago." Even as she said it, Josefin looked as if the memory physically pained her.

Lief himself felt bad for even asking her.


"He...He did?" He felt even worse for further inquiring of how Mr. Oss died. "How?"

"It was a fire. I was at work, the boys were at school. Apparently, he tried to contain it himself, but...well, by the time I was informed of what was going on, they said he was dead.

"That's horrible, Josefin. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you." Of course, he'd never been widowed. All his marriages ended in a courtroom.

"Hey, I'm used to it. I try to make sure my boys don't hurt anymore. I don't want them to suffer, and well, I've been through enough to be used to it already."

At that point, Lief saw her smile a little again as she continued. "I try to teach Arvid and Edvin right and wrong, you know?"

"And a good job you've done of that!" Josefin giggled at the compliment.

"No, I mean it. Your sons are really well-behaved. Heck, I trust them with my kids when I'm at work."

Josefin smiled again, then looked off to the side. "Thing is, though, I've been so busy at work, I've not been able to go to the store to get groceries. I've been so worried about them, I guess I got my priorities mixed up or something."

"No time, you say? Well then..."Lief just felt like he needed to help out in some way.

"How about we do that right now?"

"You sure, Mister Helgason?"

"Call me Lief," he corrected. "And sure I'm sure! This way you can save time, and get home to Edvin faster."

"And don't worry about my own kids," Lief added. "Karen is more than capable of watching her siblings."


At that moment, Karen was watching TV in the other room with Karl. She couldn't quite make out what her father and boyfriend's mother were talking about.

She did hear her name once or twice, though.


Meanwhile, Kristin was in her baby swing, in her father's den. Her older sister checked on her from time to time.

Mostly, though, she was sitting in her chair, giggling and likely planning her next means of mischief.

Regardless, Lief assured Josefin that they were all fine.

Of course, when they got there, Lief realized maybe he should've brought his wallet.

Josefin, however, told him it was fine. In fact, she brought up a compromise.

She could give him the money she had, and he could get her groceries for her. Lief of course protested, but she insisted.

He really didn't want to argue with a woman. He had had plenty of that with his exes.

But when all was said and done, it had already began to get late. After putting away everything for her, Lief said his goodbye to Josefin.

"So uh, tell Edvin I hope he gets better soon, and you know... If you guys need anything, just give me a call, all right?" Lief normally didn't make such promises to someone he barely knew.

But something told him that Arvid and Edvin's mother was an exception.

And as he was heading home, Lief couldn't help but realize something:

"Did I just go on my first date since my most recent divorce?"

Of course, Lief being Lief, he couldn't be exactly sure if it was an actual date, or just him helping out a new friend.

Whether it was or not, he would sleep on it. Hopefully come morning, he would know for sure.

(End of Chapter 3. And to anyone in the U.S., Happy Thanksgiving.)

1 comment:

  1. LOL a date going to get groceries is probably more just him helping a friend he has a crush on. XD

    ReplyDelete