Monday, February 10, 2014

Chapter 15: Gather for the Great Announcement

(Note: Since this week has a holiday, I'm hoping to try something a little different with the chapters, so the chapter I want will be on the occurring day.)


"So what do you guys think our parents want to talk to us about?"

Later that night, the children were gathered in the living room, making small talk until Edvin got home from work.

"I have an idea as to what it is, but...You never know." Karen was hoping that her suspicions were untrue. The last two times, however, she had no such luck.

It wasn't until Edvin came breezing in and took his seat. It almost seemed as if he knew what was going on.


"All right, is everyone here?" Everyone was seated, and Lief had to have Arvid take a different seat so he sat next to Josefin.

There was some rather awkward tension in the air between the adults and children. Edvin simply sat in his chair, and kept quiet. Occasionally, he looked over at Kristin, knowing she likely knew the same thing he did.

"Uh, okay, where to start..." Lief felt as if he were about to soil himself, he was so nervous. He thought that being through the process several times before, he'd be used to it by now.

"I'll handle it, Lief," Josefin reassured him. "Well, kids, obviously Lief and I have been living together for a while now. And well, last night, Lief did something wonderful."

"Which was...?"


"Well, it's official! Lief and I are getting married!"

"That's right, beautiful!" The two adults looked at their kids, hoping to get the reactions they quietly wished for.

The boys and even Kristin began smiling. Karen, predictably, remained stony-faced, however.


"Now I know what you kids are thinking. I've had to break the news of my upcoming nuptials three times in the past. But believe me when I say Josefin is the one."

"And I don't want you boys to think I'm moving on like your father meant nothing to me. But believe me when I say Lief's what I'm looking for."

"You kids don't have to call her Mom, if you don't want to. Just at least show Josefin some respect."

"And you boys don't have to call him Dad, either. Just at the least be civil to him like you were before he and I started dating."

All the kids nodded and agreed with their parents. Finally, after being silent since the discussion started, Karen stood up.


"Well, I think it's great you guys are finally typing the knot," Karen said, while not looking at any of them. "Really, really great."

"Karen?" None of them knew whether it was Arvid or Lief that said her name.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go upstairs and...cry about something totally unrelated to all this!"

The girl was out the room and up the stairs before anyone could stop her.

"Karen! Uh...You guys want me to go after her?" Arvid offered, standing up himself.

"No..." Lief's voice had gotten unusually low. "To be honest, I was expecting her to do that. She's...she's had a problem with us dating since day one. Just...let her be."

The adults took this as their cue to go into the living room. Arvid himself took Kristin up to her room to put her down for a nap.

"So how do you feel about all this?" Edvin felt he needed to ask Karl the burning question.

"Me? Personally, I'm glad I finally get brothers!" The answer was enough for Edvin to let loose a few chuckles, before the two joined the others in the living room.

No sooner than Edvin and Karl started watching TV, however, Lief suddenly got a worried look on his face.


"You know, something's been bothering me..."

"Is it about Karen?"

"No, believe it or not, it isn't about Karen." Lief looked down at his hands, and stood up.

"I, uh...I'm gonna be out for a while, you guys. I...I have things I need to do."

Josefin and the boys watched as Lief walked out the front door, having changed out of his work clothes before doing so.

None of them knew what was going through his mind at that given moment, but surely it had to be important.


(End of Chapter 15.)

No comments:

Post a Comment