Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chapter 17: The Apple of His Eye

Lief hadn't initially noticed it, but talking to Veronika made him feel...lighter.

He almost felt as if a weight had begun to be lifted off his shoulders. But said weight was still there, lingering.

Nonetheless, Lief still felt as if what he was doing was right. That he had to put aside any bad feelings towards his former wives.

As like before, Lief now found himself at the house of his second wife.



"Lief? What are you doing here?" Lief was honestly surprised by how calm she was, compared to Veronika.

"Hi, Yuri. I guess you're surprised to see me. In case you were wondering, no, I didn't bring Karl with me."

"Oh...Well, that's a shame."

"Anyway, I was wanting to talk to you about the whole 'we're divorced' thing." Lief did not wish to dally, and wanted to get down to business, it appeared.

"Yeah?"

"I know you didn't appreciate being tied down to me, and that was part of the reason we divorced, but..."


"I know. Karl doesn't appreciate me flying around the way I do. And let me guess, that's the reason you came?"

"Eh, sort of. See, Yuri...I'm getting remarried."

"Oh, really?" Yuri appeared surprised at what he just said. "And who's the lucky lady?"

"Well..." Lief was beaming now. "You know the Oss boys? I'm marrying their mother."

"The Oss boys? Yeah, they're two great kids. Just...Lief?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry it didn't work between us. I'm sure Karl hates me so much right now..."

"Well, it doesn't have to be that way, Yuri!" Lief felt guilty that it seemed as if he was using his son as some kind of leverage with her. "You can...You can visit him whenever you like, and still be friends with him. I just..."

"You just...what?"

"I don't want things to be bad between us anymore. I at least want us to put aside our differences. I'm not saying we have to start dating again. I am definitely not saying that. I just don't want the both of us at each other throats."

"That's what you want, huh?" Lief nodded.

"Well...all right. If it means that much to you."

"It would mean so much to me, Yuri."

"And good luck with your new future wife."

Lief was thankful that Yuri wasn't as vitriolic as Veronika was. He was happy that she was at least understanding from the start.

Now...there was one woman left.

(End of Chapter 17.)

No comments:

Post a Comment