Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chapter 21: Ties That Bind

Josefin had searched as many places as she could in Aurora Skies. Predictably, no sign of Karen.

At some point, Josefin realized that the chances of Karen being in a place she liked were slim. Instead, she looked in places the girl wouldn't normally be.

Soon, there was only one place left to look.


The outside itself was enough to fascinate Josefin. Though small, the building was very well decorated. She hadn't noticed the place before, almost as if the building had sprung up overnight.

And oddly enough, despite it being late at night, the lights were on.

The inside was even more beautiful to her, when she stepped inside.


"Now why didn't I notice this place before?" Josefin said, seemingly to no one. "I'd say this would be the perfect place to have a wedding."


"Wouldn't you say so, Karen?"


Karen seemed confused that Josefin was so calm and casual, seeing as she had run away from home. One would think she would be angry. Instead, she was casually making small talk.

"Um...I guess so."

"Well, you certainly seemed to like it enough to hide here. I felt it was necessary to ask." Josefin then took a seat next to Karen.


"Don't get me wrong, Karen. I am pretty upset you ran off like that. I mean, it's turned your father into a nervous wreck."

"It has?" Karen really wished now that she thought about the consequences of her actions more.

"That's right. He spent practically the entire day looking for you. I'm aware of what the reason for leaving might be, but still."

"I mean," here Josefin adjusted herself, and straightened up in the chair better, "if either of my boys ran off without telling anyone, I'd go crazy looking for them."

"Like it or not, Karen, Lief is your father. He simply wants what is best for you. He's honestly a great guy, and I consider myself lucky to have even met him, let alone be engaged to him."

"To be honest, after Kalle died, I wasn't sure what I was going to do." Karen could tell Josefin didn't want to bring up her late first husband, from the look in her eyes.

"I mean, who'd want an old widow with two kids? Most guys don't go for that. But I suppose your father didn't care. I guess he saw who I was, and liked me anyway."

"And I can't thank your father enough for that. But I guess...I guess your reasons don't pertain to me."

Karen now looked away, recalling everything that bothered her about the upcoming marriage.

"Well, it's just...I've had to see all three of my dad's past marriages fail horribly! I guess I just didn't want you to become another ex-wife to him."

"Well, I can understand that. You're tired of the past repeating itself."

"Yeah, that's part of it, and there's also the whole thing with me and Arvid. I mean, if you and my dad get married..."

At this, Karen's voice raised enough to be heard by anyone passing by the building.

"My boyfriend is going to be my stepbrother! That's just...Can you imagine how creepy that would be?"

Josefin's face betrayed little, if any emotion, before she simply nodded.

"I can see why that would be a problem. But Karen, I don't think your father wanted to hurt you. And if Lief and I do get married, and that's still an issue..."

"...I'm going to have to break up with Arvid, aren't I?"

"I'm afraid so. But I'm sure Arvid will understand. He knows the circumstances. He's not the type to get angry over something if there's a reason."


Josefin now smiled at Karen, as if she knew a great secret. "And to be honest, I always have wanted a daughter."

"You have?"

"Yep. I had twin boys, but I often hoped I'd have a girl, before I lost Kalle. Well...now I get two daughters."

Now, Josefin stood up, and waited for Karen to do the same.

"Well, what's say we get home? I'm sure everyone is worried sick about you."

"Okay, then. Let's get moving then...Mom."


Both women then exited the building, sharing their frustration over the ongoing rain that seemed to have melted the snow against all odds.

Despite the late hour when the two returned, everyone was still awake.

Arvid had come out to see who had come to the house. He was delighted to see Josefin had returned.


"You're back! Did you find Karen?"

Josefin nodded. "How's Lief doing? I'm guessing the same as when I left?"

Arvid then went to go fetch Lief, hopefully to answer Josefin's question for sure.


"Guess what, big guy! Mom found Karen!" Josefin would vaguely see Lief's face. Whether it was sadness, sleepiness, or a mix of both, she was not too entirely sure.

Upon hearing the name Karen, Lief's eyes lit up. When Josefin brought forth Karen in tow, his eyes then widened.

He reached out towards her. Lief was slightly hesitant, as though he believed she was naught but an illusion.


"Karen...Karen...!" The relief was evident in the father's voice.

"Dad, I...I'm sorry I ran away from home!" Lief didn't seem angered.

He was merely glad to have his daughter finally home.

(End of Chapter 21.)

No comments:

Post a Comment